daniel@ETFsCanada.com

2/25/2013

Theory for a potential quant single stock strategy


A Quant Strategy to trade single stocks
A colleague proposed an interesting strategy:

In this example I used a fixed basket of 15 stocks for my universe to choose from.
I tried to pick a basket that I felt I could stick with over a long period without having to refresh the universe.
I tried to pick all the giant leaders of tech, plus where I see growth in the technology space (3D printing and cloud computing in my opinion)
I didn’t go as deep as chip manufactures/part suppliers etc.





7 are tech giants
            -Apple
            -Google
            -Microsoft
            -Rim
            -Yahoo
            -Amazon
            -Internation Tech ETF (to give exposure to Samsung, approx 20% weight in this ETF)
2 are 3D Printing leaders
            -Stratasys
            -3D Systems
The Remaining 6 are Cloud computing leaders (some of the Tech giants also fall into this category, google, Amazon)
            -SalesForce.com
            -VMWare
            -Verizon
            -Citrix
            -Red Hat
            -Rackspace
The portfolio holds no core positions, everything is based off a trend capture.
YTD performance on this basket with the highly data mined constraints is 43% to the end of October, with a max drawdown of -8%.
Charted against Managed Volatility it does appear to add some uncorrelated returns.
There are no fundamental P/E ratios used so some of these companies trade on some pretty lofty earning multiples, but at least there is an exit plan should momentum disappear.
Earnings releases can be a bit risky though as there is potential to gap through a stop overnight.  
The results are pretty impressive. However with single stocks the dilemma in a backtest is would you have ever picked these same stocks a year ago, so results must be taken with a grain of salt.
Data mining is very difficult to avoid in any backtest like this especially when many of these stocks have had a rip roaring year (excluding RIM or course). 
It still needs some tweaking around the edges to reduce the trading activity, however I found that by taking profits at a fast rate during the trends I can often lock in decent profits without giving too much back as the momentum fades off.
Backtested performance as of October 2012:
- I will provide an update soon.